J.S. Bach Cantata No. 10, Cantata No. 47 - PLUS BAROQUE SAMPLER CD!
An historic recording of two of Bach's most beautiful cantatas, performed by some of the most celebrated names in baroque music, including tenor Nigel Rogers. Features a newly written essay by Jeffrey Dooley, and brand new text translations to English by linguist Z. Phillip Ambrose.
"...exemplifies the gradually emerging awareness of “historically informed” interpretations of J.S. Bach's music. Here Paul Steinitz utilizes an instrumental group of, chiefly, one player to a part and a chorus of twenty singers, approximating the dimensions of Bach's own ensembles...The Steinitz recording is one of the early examples of historically informed performance practices which have led us to the happy situation in which we find ourselves today. This beautiful CD deserves to be heard by every early-music enthusiast.” - Jeffrey Dooley
"The soloists are all good; Neil Hewlett is a bit heavy for today's tastes in Bach basses, but the others, notably a young Nigel Rogers, are very satisfying. Steinitz does a good job moving things along, and textures are nicely clear...If you like Rilling, you'll probably enjoy what is here"
American Record Guide March/April. 2005
Cantata No. 10 Meine Seel erhebt den Herren
1. Chorus - 3:49
2. Aria (S) - 8:37
3. Recit. (T) - 1:36
4. Aria (B) - 3:56
5. Duetto (e Choral) - 2:18
6. Recitativo (T) - 2:30
7. Choral - 1:11
Cantata No. 47 Wer sich selbst erhöhet der soll erniedriget sein
8. Chorus [Dictum] (SATB) - 6:01
9. Aria (S) - 11:12
10. Recit. (B) - 2:13
11. Aria (B) - 4:53
12. Chorale (SATB) - 0:53
Total Running Time 49:10
INCLUDES FREE BONUS 58 MIN. LYRICHORD BAROQUE SAMPLER CD!
(TRACKS ON SAMPLER - (DISC TWO)
1. RAMEAU: Pieces de Clavecin (track 6, Concert 2,) L Agracante The Queens Chamber Band, Elaine Comparone, Director LEMS-8040 - 4:41
2. J.S. Bach: The Coffee Cantata BWV #211 (track#16 “Trio”) John Ostendorf (B), Ann Monoyios, (S) Amor Artis Chorale & Orchestra, Johannes Somary, Conductor LEMS-8039 - 4:25
3. D. Scarlatti: The Cat's Fugue (track #1 Sonata in F minor) Elaine Comparone, harpsichord - 3:20
4. Frescobaldi: Love Letters From Italy (track 1, Aria de Passacaglia) Drew Minter, countertenor and Artek 458 Strings LEMS-8026 - 2:53
5. J. Van Eyck: The Recorder - Four Centuries of Recorder Music (track 25 Boffins from Der Flyten Lust-Hof) Pro Arte Recorder Ensemble of Argentina LEMS-8030 - 1:37
6. J.S. BACH: The Six Partitas, (track 6, Partita Number 2, Allemande) Richard Troeg er, Clavichord LEMS-8036 - 4:30
7. PURCELL: Airs & Duets (track 15 Me, O Ye Gods) Jeffrey Dooley, countertenor, Howard Crook, tenor LEMS-8024 - 3:04
8. TELEMANN: Sonatas en Trios dans le Gout (track 26 Grave from Sonata in G Le Triomphe de L Amour LEMS-8033 - 2:03
9. MONTEVERDI: Orfeo (track 22) ARTEK, Gwendolyn Toth, Director LEMS-9002 (complete opera - 2 cd set) - 1:20
10. J.S. BACH: Complete Keyboard Trio Sonatas on 2 Lautenwecke, Shawn Leopard & John Paul, LEMS-8047 - 4:03
11. BIBER: Mensa Sonora (track 47 Sarabande) La Follia Salzburg LEMS-8017 - 2:29
12. HANDEL: Keyboard Music (track 6 Presto from Suite #3 in D minor) Paul Wolfe, Harpsichord LEMS-8034 - 5:08
13. TELEMANN: 6 Flute Duets (track 22 Vivace from Sonata in E) Tom Moore, Kim Rheighey, flutes LEMS-8019 - 3:47
14. J.S. BACH: Cantata BWV #10 Meine Seel erhebt den Herren (track 6 Recitativo) Nigel Rogers, Tenor, The English Chamber Orchestra, Paul Steinitz, conductor LEMS-8050 - 2:25
15. J.S. BACH: The Complete Toccatas (track #3, partial) Richard Troe ger, Clavichord LEMS-8041 2:49
16. TELMANN: Six Quatuors ou Trios (track#25 Allegro from Sonata in D for Violincello and Continuo) Melomani LEMS-8028 - 2:50
17. J.S. BACH: The Robert Noehren Retrospective Tocata and Fugue in D Minor “Dorian” (track 8,Toccata) Robert Noehren, Organ LYRCD-6005 - 4:55
Additional InformationFor complete info on Bach Cantatas, visit the Bach Cantatas Website.
We Also Recommend