Portugal: Portuguese Traditional Music CD
As the liner notes explain and the recordings attest, Portugal’s location on the westernmost coast of continental Europe influenced its folk music in significant ways. In addition to older chants, prayers, lullabies, vocal and instrumental music, the album contains several examples of the well-known fado style. Emotional and melancholy, fado has origins in the Middle Ages and experienced a renaissance in the 18th century; in 2011 it was inscribed in the UNESCO Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity.
Liner notes include translated lyrics for each track.
This album is part of the UNESCO Collection of Traditional Music. More than 125 albums are being released by Smithsonian Folkways Recordings to make the series publicly available, including a dozen never-released albums of musical traditions from around the globe.
1. The Rendez-vous - 2:11
2. Lullaby: Cançao de Embalar - 2:43
3. Macelada (Picking Camomile) - 2:03
4. Christmas Carol - 4:14
5. Sao Joao (Saint John) - 2:53
6. Desejos (Wishes) - 2:21
7. For The Souls In Purgatory - 2:00
8. Aurora teve um menino (Aurora has given birth to a son) - 5:52
9. Os Teus Olhos (Your Eyes) - 1:28
10. A Nossa Rua (Our Street) - 3:36
11. Fado Corrido - 3:25
12. Meia Noite (Midnight) - 4:12
13. Little Fado - 3:14
14. Tirana (The Wild Woman) - 3:32
15. Um Viva para Toda a Gente (A Vivat for Everyone) - 2:37
16. Misericordia, Meu Deus (Have mercy, O Lord) - 1:25
17. Stone-cutter's Song - 2:05
We Also Recommend