Music of Central Asia Vol. 1: Tengir-Too: Mountain Music from Kyrgyzstan CD & DVD
From the mountainous Kyrgyzstan, Jew's harps, fiddles, plucked stringed instruments, and powerful voices transmit the vibrant rhythms of nomadism and the serene atmosphere of the Kygyz mountains in a musical language as contemporary as it is ancient.
This deluxe package launches Music of Central Asia, a multi-volume series that brings to life the diverse and remarkable musical culture of a region long inaccessible to outsiders.
18 tracks. 66 minutes. 48-page color booklet, photos, and bilingual lyrics; DVD contains series introduction, 24-minute film, interactive glossary, and map.
Music of Central Asia is a co-production of the Aga Khan Music Initiative in Central Asia, a program of the Aga Khan Trust for Culture, and the Smithsonian Institution Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage.
The aim of the series is to present leading exponents of Central Asia's rich and diverse musical heritage to listeners outside the region.
1. Jangylyk (Novelty) - 3:14
2. Erke kyz (The Spoiled Girl) - 2:07
3. Küidüm chok (I Burn, I Smoulder like Charcoal) - 3:27
4. Episode from the Manas: Kökötöidün Ashy (Kökötöis Memorial Feast) - 6:26
5. Belek (Gift) - 2:07
6. Kara özgöy (Impudent One) - 3:21
7. Kyiylyp turam (Im Sad to Say Goodbye) - 2:33
8. Attila Khan - 3:28
9. Ak Satkyn menem Kulmyrza (Ak Satkyn and Kulmyrza) - 9:10
10. Fantasy on the Chopo choor (ocarina) - 2:00
11. Gül (Flower) - 3:36
12. Jol jürüsh (On the Road) - 2:27
13. Kengesh (Soviet) - 3:11
14. Esimde (I Remember) - 5:04
15. Ker özön (Wide Valley) - 2:39
16. Sagynam (I Miss You) - 3:31
17. Kambarkan - 4:50
18. Kyz oigotoor (A Melody that Wakes Up a Girl) - 2:47
We Also Recommend